a compilation of products, furniture, jewelry, architecture and artists that float our boat.
eye
candy

Monday, March 16, 2009

The Watchmen



We went with some friends to see The Watchmen this weekend. I have to say that Zack Snyder did a good job envisioning the film version of the book. The visuals were great, but I thought the stylized speed ramped action sequences contrasted too much with the standard shots. The environments and atmosphere of the city created a believable interpretation of the book's New York. I especially liked Rorschach's character, the live-action and voice really brings him to life in a way that the stillness of the book cannot.

The only downside I saw to the movie, was that if you haven't read the book, the movie is going to be a little hard to follow. I thought it was great to see the book become motion and I can appreciate the movie as a series of smaller character studies and special effects that breathe life into the book. The larger themes and story arcs are still there, but to me, the appreciation of the movie is the medium, film itself, and what it brings to the telling of the story.

If you've seen it, what are your thoughts?



WB has asked/forced sites to remove the opening titles sequences, so they may be difficult to find. But if you can, check them out and you'll see a glimpse into major events of the alternate USA in which the story takes place. Like Nite Owl saving Bruce Wayne's parents and preventing Batman.

3 comments:

  1. I ALSO saw the film this weekend. Very well done, and beautiful imagery. But it was hard to follow as I never read the book <-- I'm going to now. And, I thought it could have been at least 30 minutes shorter. But hey, what do I know?!

    At any rate, I'm glad I went. Thought I'd pass along this link too. Fellow dsigner/fanboy of Watchmen made these shirts. Coolest ones out there in my estimation. I can see how the novel/movie has such a large following. I will educate myself a bit more and then see the movie again.

    http://cargocollective.com/workerman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually liked the movie despite the storylines not following Alan Moore's version a 100% (and Moore didn't like the idea of turning the comic into a Hollywod flick anyway). I liked it for what it was. I agree that it would be confusing to those who haven't read it. It's not your standard superhero fare which makes something like Sin City a bit more light hearted. I've also encountered people who were confused as to what the characters superhero powers were, and were quite disappointed. Everyone except the blue guy did not have special powers and the villain had a heightened mental capacity. They are just well trained--kind of like Batman. Though I am semi-surprised that non-special powered folks who have the emotional discipline to train for physical strength at superhero levels still manage to succumb to vices such as alcohol and cigarettes.

    Sorry. Nerd comment ends here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comments guys...nerd comments always appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete

We've been getting some spam comments in the past few months, and so have turned on comment moderation, but if you are a real, live person not touting drugs, we'll get your comment up, asap! Also, comments left under user names that are obvious spam keywords (some recent ones: dining room tables, organic baby cribs) will be deleted. Thanks!